Saturday, August 24, 2013

Good News For A Change

I've had it up to here (holds hand horizontally near neck) with all the crap that's been going on recently. So today I'm going with a story that made me feel more positive about this country. Hopefully it'll have the same effect on you.

Home At Last
When 3rd Infantry Division soldier Greg Alford returned to his Effingham County home Wednesday from a tour in Afghanistan, he was touched to see all the “welcome home” signs and American flags in his neighborhood.

“She always does something,” Greg said, turning to his wife Joni and sharing a smile with her.

Alford was one of 270 soldiers from the 3rd Aviation Combat Brigade to receive a big welcome back to Hunter Army Airfield on Wednesday night following eight months in Afghanistan.

“Eight months and five days,” Joni specified.

Following the homecoming ceremony at HAAF, the Alfords headed to their home in southern Effingham County ... Along with American flags lining Crystal Drive, several yards were adorned with signs saying “Welcome home CW3 Alford” with a silhouette of a helicopter. As a maintenance test pilot, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Alford’s primary job is to test-fly aircraft after they have undergone maintenance.

“When we turned (onto the street), I saw the signs,” Greg said, “and there were more signs and more signs … I knew she had gone all-out.”

It was certainly not a last-minute idea. Joni ordered the signs about three months in advance.

The neighborhood also took some initiative of its own. The Alfords’ good friends Mary and Jon Mistak helped put out the word last month that Greg would be coming home soon, and several neighbors started placing American flags on their mailboxes and in their yards two weeks ahead of his arrival.

This was Greg’s fourth deployment since 2005 — two to Iraq followed by two to Afghanistan. Though every return home has been joyous, Greg described this latest one as “very special.”

“Knowing I had somebody here that loves me and goes out of her way to make it special, and seeing the whole neighborhood being supportive, it’s awesome,” he said.
I feel much better now...

4 comments:

Toejam said...

God Bles the Troops.

And their families.

Old NFO said...

Yep, good stories, but because the military is involved, not much coverage... and +1 on Toejam!

CenTexTim said...

Toejam - +1, even if you can't spell/type... :-)

NFO - local news sometimes is okay, but national news sucks.

Toejam said...

It's not my typing, CTT. My keyboard is plain got a mind of its own!

It changes my correct spelling after I click on the "publish comment" icon.

I think the NSA has planted a virus in it to discredit me.