Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Didn't Miss It At All

Stories like this one make me realize why I didn't miss the news on my recent vacation.
ABC News editor Don Ennis strolled into the newsroom in May wearing a little black dress and an auburn wig and announced he was transgender and splitting from his wife. He wanted to be called Dawn.

But now he says he suffered from a two-day bout of amnesia that has made him realize he wants to live his life again as Don.

“I accused my wife of playing some kind of cruel joke, dressing me up in a wig and bra and making fake ID’s with the name ‘Dawn’ on it. Seriously,” Ennis wrote in a memo he posted to the newsroom bulletin board Friday, explaining his shock after he woke up from what he called a “transient global amnesia” last month.
"Transient global amnesia." I'll have to remember that one the next time I do something that gets my wife upset. It sounds so much better than "beer-induced lapse of judgement."
“I am writing to let you know I’m changing my name . . . to Don Ennis. That will be my name again, now and forever. And it appears I’m not transgender after all.

“I’m asking all of you who accepted me as a transgender to now understand: I was misdiagnosed.

“I am already using the men’s room and dressing accordingly,” he noted.
Don - Dawn - Don
Ennis had previously told friends that he suspected his sex mix-up happened because his mother gave him female hormones as a child that made him look and sound young to prolong a bit-part acting career, but he ended up developing breasts and started thinking he was a woman.

He explained he had gone to the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Md., for testing last month to understand why his mind and body changed from male to female. He said he learned it was a hormone imbalance that could be fixed.

A week after he was discharged, his wife rushed him back to the hospital because he thought he was having a seizure and was experiencing a “drastic loss of memory.”

Don added that he now feels “fantastic” as a man again.

And he said he hopes that with the hormone treatment and surgery, things will only get better.

The startling he-to-she-back-to-he move came after Ennis had publicly announced on Facebook in May that he was leaving his wife of 17 years, Wendy, to become a full-time woman.

The Connecticut resident has now assured friends and colleagues that his switch back to being a man isn’t a joke.
Words fail me...

5 comments:

kerrcarto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kerrcarto said...

He may not be a transgneder, but he most certainly has a few screws loose.

Old NFO said...

Gah... unbelievable...

CenTexTim said...

Like I said, words fail me...

Third News said...

Your wife told me she dropped 38k on a Fendi Selleria bag on account of her Transient global amnesia ;-)