Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I Report - You Decide

I don't have the time to do a lengthy detailed post on how the media has evolved to its present state of narrative journalism – "preconceived storylines that fit a particular agenda or political or ideological view, almost always progressive." But I did find this screen shot of CNN's home page instructive.

I was looking for more information on the sickening and cowardly killing of over 130 children by - who else? - islamic fundamentalists. Here's what CNN had to say about it.


Notice a few things. First, the story about the 'School Slaughter' shares top billing with a story that advances the CNN-approved narrative of police declaring war on black men.

Second, nowhere in the School Slaughter lead does it mention that the terrorists are islamic. In the linked story it does say that the killers are Taliban militants, but nowhere in that story do the words "islamist" or "muslim" appear. I guess CNN assumes we all know that the Taliban is an islamic fundamentalist political movement.

CNN, to its credit, doesn't mention in this blurb that the man killed by cops in the Walmart was black. But the linked story makes that quite clear. It also, IMO, takes a 'continue the narrative' slant when discussing the shooting and its immediate aftermath. (BTW, the shooting took place last August.)

But don't take my word for it. Unlike CNN ("CNN.com is among the world's leaders in online news and information delivery"), I just present the facts. You can make up your own mind.

In other words, 'I report. You decide.'

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

CNN is 'infotainment'... HASN'T been a real news organization in a LONG time...

CenTexTim said...

You're right. I don't know why I keep turning to them. Maybe because there isn't anything much better out there (with one exception).