Monday, April 8, 2013

Another "Boy Do I Feel Old" Post


It was bad enough hearing about the passing of Iron Maggie. But on top of that came news of the death of someone who meant much more to me, at least in my formative years.
Annette Funicello, one of the best-known members of the original 1950s "Mickey Mouse Club" and a star of numerous 1960s "beach party" films, died Monday at a California hospital, the Walt Disney Co. said.
As a prepubescent youngster, I was glued to the TV when the Mickey Mouse Club came on. Annette was without a doubt my favorite, but in a big sister kind of way.

A few years later, my appreciation for her in the Beach Blanket Bingo flicks was no less enthusiastic, although for entirely different reasons. Annette had blossomed, and so had I.


For you kids out there, that thing she's holding in her hand is not a cell phone. It's a transistor radio.

Tame by today's standards, the images of Annette in a bikini stirred unfamiliar feelings within me ... and my loins.

Mickey would have been appalled...

2 comments:

Toejam said...

Yup CTT,

May Annette rest in peace.

She was one hot woman way back when I was a horny high school dude.

Matter of fact I fell in love with my 1st wife because she looked just like Annette.

OK, there were other reasons too.

Several were:

Her father owned a chain of liquor stores and, hang on........"let me think a minute."

CenTexTim said...

Sounds like she had the makings of a perfect woman.