Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Maybe obama Was Right

Maybe this country is soft.

Cool weather has arrived (well, cool for down here - it was only 91 at 6:30 tonight) so when I went out for my semi-regular walk there were plenty of folks out and about.

My normal route follows a paved hike and bike trail. As I hoofed it around the trail there were a number of families on bikes. One young mother in particular had a small boy in tow. He looked to be around 3 or 4; so young that his bicycle still had training wheels.

The lad had a helmet strapped to his head, and was equipped with elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist braces. He could have pedaled that bike off a roof and not gotten a scratch.

I have no idea what the future holds in store for that kid, but I suspect it will include a heaping helping of a hovering overprotective mom.

What's next - bubble wrap?

2 comments:

JT said...

On the preschool field trip I attended last week, there was a contingent of mothers that hand-sanitized their kids at every station. Pick an apple, ooooh,dirty hands. Feel the soft leaf of a Lamb's Ear plant, more hand sanitizer. Not to mention the number of moms promising that they would take little Johnny home as soon as the field trip was over - because all that sunshine and fresh air was making them tired, hot, hungry, etc. and they deserved a 'break'. Gah!

kerrcarto said...

Helicopter parents are ruining this country. My son goes into the creek out back all the time. As long as he has his pellet gun and knife I really don't worry about him.