Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Why Johnny Can't Write

Over the past four days I graded 100+ student essays. As might be expected, I experienced my this-happens-every-semester disappointment. Students who can write a complete sentence, much less a coherent paragraph, have become an endangered species. Two examples: (there were more, but somehow they disappeared in the midst of Blogger's 'upgrade.')
the english is not my first lenguage.

Microsoft is launching a new tool that is going to revolt the market.
(One might argue that the above is in fact a complete and coherent statement, but trust me, the student who wrote it is incapable of sarcasm and nuance.)
I am so tired of teaching 13th and 14th grade, instead of college. I also harbor great concerns over the future of commerce, politics, and even basic communication in this country if we keep going down this same track.

I'm not alone. One of my favorite commentators, T.R. Fehrenbach, wrote the following column last week.

T.R. is a Texas boy who was educated at Princeton. He's a Korean War combat vet, historian, book author, and social commentator. He's one of my favorite commentators because (1) he's curmudgeonly, (2) he makes me think, and (3) he usually takes the same position on issues that I do.
... human beings think in language. If you haven't mastered words you'll never be able to impart your ideas to other people. If they aren't educated, they won't understand them. This is why I believe the U.S. is taking a great risk by downplaying the mastery of language in grade school. This is what the argument concerning K-12 is all about.

Educated people think in terms of concepts, or at least know how to handle them ... The Ionian Greeks of Miletus could not have invented philosophy (circa 585 B.C.) without the marvelous Greek language; rational thought developed hand-in-hand with writing, which is the life blood of serious thought and science. Illiterate people can speak well, learn skills, and acquire wisdom — but they cannot create a continuous civilization.

I believe, strongly, that we should never let our young emerge effectively illiterate from the first six grades as we now do. I think that every kid should be forced to read — and write. I don't mean novels or essays upon philosophy, but ordinary communication: memos, letters, instruction books, etc. This is not impossible; the rising Asian nations all do it. They concentrate on the first six grades and assure that every child is capable of holding a job for which literacy is required.

This fact is just beginning to be understood publicly as a problem damaging a splendid university system. Any honest educator will tell you that today the first two years of college tends to be remedial work — teaching what students once learned in school.
Boy howdy, he's speaking the truth! Not just writing skills, but basic understanding of math and civics as well. Not to mention reading comprehension.
Even the Ivy League (for policy reasons) admits a significant number of freshmen who cannot write a comprehensible line. When I was in seventh grade, I had to diagram 40 sentences as homework, and in school, write an essay in English class every week. I rarely saw a true-false or multiple-choice test. Today students can arrive at college without writing a sentence, meaning their thinking is probably undeveloped.

This has led to a Sahara of the intellect that has made the august New York Times dumb down regularly since 1941, and the adoption of texting in lieu of written communication. To me, this is like substituting Irish limericks for Shakespeare.
I couldn't have said it better.

8 comments:

JT said...

Every time you post something about the essay writing ability of most college students, it helps reinforce my belief that my kids are in the right school. They can spit out decent essays like a Xerox machine.

jeffli6 said...

Whel, I hope that I can shough you what a colledge degree can do. I graduated in english litererture. Top ten in my clas! So youre sypnoisis is rong.

God help us!

Pascvaks said...

Not 2 woory! Soone be mo spesll checkin and grammua 'n contex 'n thoght checks on ebery pc, then look hows smarts 'n fine we be. Ya old guys knoz nuttin bout nuttin and neber wil, yongins taday speaks new fein merican dat ya neber larned y'slves. I be a phD from Ivie Leak, I knoz 'bout whad i spek. Da worlds passd ya byby ol men, goz kuietly n' take ya hat wid ya. Is our worl taday, buz offf Bozo!

PS: Tanks 4'd edjakatin Dad, ya still gonna pay ma' loan off'n 4 me, rite? Lub ya dad!

Ye'son, Sue!
xOXo

Pps: Kin i bara $40, McD's changd payday ta turdsdayz. Tanks dad

______________________

Life is stranger than fiction! Much stranger by far!

Pascvaks said...

Thomas John Brokaw wrote a book and called it 'The Greatest Generation'. As was so often true of everything Thomas John did, it wasn't true.

When a couple ducks have little ducks that can't swim, float, fly, quack, or feed themselves, who's to blame? The little ducks or the ducks who had them and taught them how to be ducks?

Soooooo... The 'Greats' must have done something very wrong and not been so very great at all if their kids and grand kids and great grand kids are so very, very messed up. Right?

I never liked Thomas John, much too full of himself.

CenTexTim said...

Harper - Good for them! I'll bet your kids' school has lots of exercises and emphasis on the basics. That's what China does, and what our public school system used to do - before 'progressives' and teachers unions took over.

Jeff - That would get you a B, maybe a B+, in today's schools.

Pascvaks - Interesting perspective on the 'Greats.' Let me offer this response. The "Greatest Generation" title is relative. That generation may not have been perfect, but they were 'greater' than the following ones. They left the country in better economic and moral condition than any of the subsequent generations. If I tell my child what to do, but he ignores me, is that my fault or his?

Pascvaks said...

I loved my parents too, and I thought they were the best. The lie isn't in the story about the people as much as it is in their 'generation' as the greatest and what they did to the world when they were at the controls. Borkow had an ace of an idea for making money. Write a book about the Grams and Gramps of the current crop and everyone will buy it. By focusing on the Average Dick and Jane, he glossed over the curruption at the top, and the story that was ongoing under the wallpaper with the rats and cockroaches. He used them, and their achievements, to silently and backhandedly praise and put the lie to those who were in their midst defecating and barfing on the kitchen table. It was a trick. A propganda ploy of the Nth degree. And it worked. Our folks were The Best, and they fought The Worst, but they didn't kill all of them, and many of their enemies were very Domestic, and these polluted and dispoiled millions of minds in the children, and grandchildren, of The Greatest.

By only addressing the achievements of the Best of The Greatest, he whitewashed the Worst of the Worst.

jeffli6 said...

B or B+?
My mom will be calling you shortly!

CenTexTim said...

LOL! - But seriously...

I have had parents of college students -- PARENTS OF COLLEGE STUDENTS -- call me to make excuses for their kids or argue about grades.

Sheesh...