Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Better Living Through Technology

Every so often I get tired of all the gloom and doom that seems to pervade today's headlines. As a change of pace, I like to focus on the enjoyable aspects of my job (yes, there are a few). One of my favorites is researching the unique and creative ways emerging technology is being put to use. Here are three examples.

I.  Yesterday (April 3) marked the end of Wal-Mart’s “Get on the Shelf” campaign. It was a brilliant combination of reality TV and social media.
Zombie repellant might not be something you expect to find on the shelf at Walmart. Or, for that matter, puppy shoes.
Wal-Mart dubbed its contest the "Get on the Shelf" program — an American Idol-style competition for small businesses. Two rounds of online voting will determine three winners, all of which will be sold online, with the grand prize winner gaining a spot in select stores.
For Wal-Mart, it's all about garnering publicity and social-media hits. But for the winner of the contest, it's a chance to go from a virtual unknown to a distinguished product sold with roughly 150,000 others at more than 3,800 Wal-Mart stores nationally.
What a great idea. In addition to the favorable publicity and flood of new Facebook friends, Wal-Mart gets a ton of free market research. And some small business gets an incredible opportunity – that same free publicity, plus what just might be the most expensive per-square foot real estate in the world: Wal-Mart shelf space.

II.  On a smaller scale, there’s a website that connects buyers and sellers of anything – any good or service – as long as it’s priced at five dollars. There is a truly bizarre assortment of things people are willing to do or sell for five dollars. For example:
  • I will dance to 2 minutes of any song of your choice in a hot dog costume for $5
  • I will sing Old MacDonald Had a Farm in Hebrew and send you the voice file by email for $5
  • I will make the sounds of animals in Ukrainian language and send you mp3 file for $5
  • I will sing 'Happy Birthday to you' in Welsh, wearing only a Welsh flag thong and woolen hat…
  • I will photoshop your face onto the movie poster of your choosing for $5
  • I will draw you as an animal for $5
  • I will shout anything you want in a banana costume for $5
But it’s not all fun and games. There are some serious business offers out there as well.
  • I will improve your website with 10 tips for $5
  • I will transcribe 15 minutes of audio for $5
  • I will install the latest version of WordPress for you for $5
  • I will write product reviews of 800+ words for $5
  • I will make you an android app business card for $5
  • I will help you write an attention grabbing elevator speech or 30 second introduction for $5
It’s an intriguing mix ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. Check it out.

III.  Finally, we have an organization that encourages people to visit small local businesses en masse and spend money at those locations.

Modeled on the flashmob concept, these Cash Mobs use social media in an attempt to positively impact community businesses.
The idea started last fall when Buffalo blogger Chris Smith envisioned using the purchase power of flash mobs to help small businesses. He set a few ground rules: each person should try to spend $20 and pay full price for items. He says this sets cash mobs apart from other social media deals.
“What you get with a Groupon or a Living Social deal is a one-time injection. And it’s not necessarily a profitable injection. You’re having to cut your prices so significantly. With this, because we ask people to spend a little time in the store, we encourage the entrepreneur to spend a little time with the shoppers, talk about the products they have. It builds a relationship that you don’t get with a coupon.”
Will it work long-term? I have no idea, although it’s off to a good start.
Now, nearly 200 cash mobs have cropped up in 35 states and a handful of countries, mostly through word of mouth online.
Another incredible idea. It's a simple concept using simple technology, but it has the potential to help struggling small businesses across the country.

I've challenged my students to take advantage of one or more of these opportunities, and to let me know what happens. I'd love to know if anyone out there tries it, and what the results are.

The most you can lose is $5...

No comments: