Friday, March 9, 2012

Time Marches On

My birthday was last week (and I'm milking it for all it's worth in these posts). Spring Break starts next week. Between the two I was torn between feeling old and grumpy, or being carefree and happy. Then the following happened and I decided to go with old and grumpy.

 * * * * * * * * * *

As I explained earlier, shortly after my birthday I went to a new doctor for a check-up. While I was waiting in the examination room I noticed the staff's diplomas and credentials framed and hanging on the wall. As I read them, my attention was drawn to one name. Suddenly I remembered a young, shapely, dark-haired girl with the same name that had been in my high school graduating class. Could this be the same girl I secretly had a crush on lo those many years ago?

Just then a nurse came into the room to check my pulse and take my blood pressure. The name on her ID badge matched the name on the diploma, but I quickly discarded any notion that she was the girl of my dreams from high school

This overweight gray-haired woman with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate.

Just to be sure, after she unwrapped the blood pressure cuff I asked her if she had gone to MacArthur High School.

She smiled and said,"Yes, yes I did."

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

She answered "In 1969. Why do you ask?"

Shocked, I replied "I was at MacArthur High that year as well."

She stared at me closely and I could see her straining her brain to remember me.

Then that ugly, wrinkle-faced, fat-assed, gray-haired, decrepit old bitch asked me:

"What did you teach?"

4 comments:

Pascvaks said...

(-; Thank You! I needed that! ;-)

kerrcarto said...

That even got a laugh from dad (graduated in 1969 also) sitting next to me here in the office.

Old NFO said...

LOL, hell "I" graduated in 69 too!

CenTexTim said...

Pascvaks - Glad you liked it.

Jeez, thanks, kerrcarto, for letting me know I'm old enough to be your father...

NFO - Don't know about you, but our unofficial class motto was "I'll eats yours if you'll eat mine. We're the class of '69!"