Friday, February 24, 2012

Thirteen Days Of Glory - Days 1 and 2

I meant to begin this yesterday, but got distracted. So here's a two-fer. (Source: Gone To Texas)

February 23

’El Presidente’ - Excelencio Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna y Perez de LeBron (known as General Santa Annato the Texans and Santana to the Mexicans) arrives in San Antonio de Bexar. He is sighted by a sentry in the San Fernando Church which presently sits in downtown San Antonio in its original spot. Sighting is confirmed by John Sutherland and John W. Smith. William Barret Travis moves into the Alamo and sends Sutherland and Smith to the city of Gonzales for help. Mexican troops move into the main plaza, hoisting a blood-red flag of no-quarter from the church tower. Not one to back away from a fight, Travis answers that gesture with a cannon shot from an eighteen pounder.

February 24

Jim Bowie, who is ill from typhoid/pneumonia, hands the command of the Alamo solely to Travis. For awhile the two had shared command...Bowie with the volunteers, Travis over the regular army. Now the Alamo stood in Travis' hands. The Mexican troops' bombardment begins. Travis will now sit and write his letter ’To the People of Texas and All Americans in the World’.



To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat.

Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism and everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days.  If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt.  Col. comdt.

4 comments:

Bear said...

The brave exploits of Travis, Bowie, and the other heroes of the Alamo are well-documented and should hold a special place in the hearts of all Americans, not just Texans. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this segment... Thanks for posting it!

CenTexTim said...

Thanks, Bear. It's funny how those of us who live in a history-rich environment - like TX or PA - often take it for granted.

Bear said...

I live less than ten miles from Gettysburg, and I'm guilty as charged. I love riding the bike around the battlefield, but I wish I had more time and ambition to really read up on and visit some of those hallowed places in my backyard.

CenTexTim said...

I used to do some business with a firm headquartered near King of Prussia. On one visit I took some time off and went to visit Valley Forge. I'll never forget how, to quote a tired cliche, that made history come alive. Seeing those tiny, cramped, dingy, dark little cabins where the soldiers were crammed in during that long winter gave me some small inkling of what they went through.

Ditto for Gettysburg. Walking the grounds gives you a feel for the battle that no amount of reading will do.