Sunday, June 12, 2011

All's Well That Ends Well

My nephew's wedding has come and gone. Despite a few minor glitches (when he started to get dressed he discovered that he'd left his pants back at his parent's house) those magical words were eventually uttered; "I now pronounce you man and wife."

For me, the highlight of the evening was my 93 year-old father doing the Cupid Shuffle with two young cute bridesmaids. I'd never heard of the Cupid Shuffle, and neither had Dad, but he didn't let that stop him. Boogie down, dude.

For those of you that have never cared for elderly parents, it's a case of role reversal. You become the parent, and the parent gradually transitions into a child-like state. For example:

Last night was warm (it was 96 degrees when the ceremony started at 6:30 p.m.). Everything was outdoors - the ceremony, the dinner, the bar, the dance floor. The only indoor facilities were the restrooms, and they weren't air conditioned. So dehydration was a concern, especially because older people tend to eat and drink less than they should.

So after Dad had a couple of beers I put a bottle of water down in front of him and said "No more beer until you drink the water." While I was standing next to him a couple of people came over and I got caught up in a conversation. I happened to glance over at Dad and caught him pouring the water out into a potted plant. I flashed back to him telling me "No dessert until you finish your vegetables" and me slipping them under the table to our dog. So I pretended not to notice and got him another beer. I figure after 93 years an extra beer or two isn't going to do any long term damage.

Bottom line - the wedding went well. Everyone had a good time. I took Dad back to his place around 11:00, well past his regular bedtime, but he had a great time, so no harm, no foul.

Three straight nights of socializing, however, have taken their toll on me. I think a nap is in my future this afternoon...

No comments: