Friday, June 3, 2011

I Stand Behind What I Write

I am a college professor. I am free to research whatever I want, but I am also compelled to stand behind my published articles. Anything I submit for publication is subject to review by at least three of my academic peers. If my product doesn't pass muster then it is summarily rejected.

Compare and contrast that with what Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs Cass Sunstein had to say when he testified in front of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations about the Obama administration’s plans for reviewing and reducing federal regulations.
President Barack Obama’s regulatory czar retreated from a 2003 academic report he wrote advocating that government assign a higher monetary value to the lives of young people than to senior citizens during testimony to Congress on Friday.

Things written as an academic are not a legitimate part of what we do as a government official.”
Bull-Fucking-Shit!!!

Excuse the fuck out of me, but as a professional academic I strongly argue that “Things written as an academic" are a legitimate part of our professional identity. For example, I do occasional consulting. My research definitely is a part of what I do as a consultant. I put a lot of time and effort into what I publish, and I stand behind it 100%. Otherwise it's just one big mother-fucking sham.

Which would make us politicians...

No comments: