Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Adiós y Vaya con Dios

I started this blog over six years ago - January 16, 2010, to be precise. At the time I was commuting between my job in Laredo (Texas, of course) and my home near Bergheim (also in the Great State of Texas). I needed something to help me pass the time and stay out of trouble while I was away from the family, so Bergheim Follies was born.

Fast forward to today. I'm retired and back living at home. The kids are out of the house. In spite of - or maybe because of - being retired it seems I have more things to do than when I was working, and less time to do them. This blog has become a time-sink where I lose 2 or 3 hours a day sitting on my increasingly fatter ass in front of the computer. Given the state of the world today - and the state of our nation - it's also become much less enjoyable.

Bottom line - I'm pulling the plug. I've got things I want to do, and things I need to do. Shutting this down means I have one less excuse to avoid them. Thanks to all of you who have dropped by this little corner of the interweb. I've made some good friends through this blog; some digital, and some in meatspace. It's been an honor and a pleasure having you spend some of your precious time here.

I'll leave you with the following toast. I mean that last part. If you ever wander down around Bergheim let me know. I'll buy you a beer.

Adiós y Vaya con Dios...

17 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I understand, but will miss your daily views. If you're ever in OK, look me up. Beer, wine, and whiskey are plentiful in OK, too.

George Pollard said...

Your blog has a permanent place in my RSS feed. Thank you for your writings, I have enjoyed them. Go with God, indeed, and take care.

Unknown said...

Darn! I just found you a couple of months ago, and now you're leaving. I totally understand, but you will be missed in my daily blogroll. God give you grace.

Randy said...

I know what you are feeling, having some of the same thoughts and the blog suffers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and escapades over the years and thanks for coming by my 'place.' Maybe you could reconsider and just post when you feel a need to rant or have a great story to share. I will miss your humor and insight. Enjoy the Hill Country.

Chris said...

I'll miss the Sunday funnies and snappy commentary. Good luck, God bless and keep point it to windward.

Anonymous said...

Gonna miss you CTT. But a man has to know his limitations.

If I get to Texas I'll stop in with a case of Steiner we can share together.

Don't forget, if you get bored come on up to Western North Carolina and we can have some real Barbeque.

Good luck my friend.

Anonymous said...

Miss-spelled it's Shiner. Sorry!

Mel said...

Good luck to you and yours. Like those above I'll miss your wit and humor.

Old NFO said...

Best wishes Tim, it's been a great ride with ya. I'll get down that way later this year.

Bear said...

Well, that'll free up some time on my end with one less blog to read, although it is certainly one of the better reads on my blogroll. I'll miss your daily dose of humor and wisdom. Thanks for all the good reads over the years.

As always, if you find yourself in around SCPA with some disposable time, please give me a shout.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Never say never. Enjoyed your blog a lot and will miss it.

CenTexTim said...

BB - thanks, and will do.

George - thank you for joining me on the trip. It was fun while it lasted.

Unknown - thanks. If you really think you'll miss me, you can always go to the Jan. 16 2010 post and work your way forward... ;-)

Randy - I thought about just posting once in a while, but I'm more of an 'all or nothing' kind of guy. But I'll still be around, posting on your and other blogs.

Chris - thanks, buddy. Same to you.

Toejam - You've been around so long that I knew when you said "Steiner" you really meant "Shiner." Scary, huh...

Mel - thanks, although according to my wife it's more 'half-wit' and 'half-assed humor'... :-)

NFO - Ditto. I'm going elk hunting mid-Oct. through early Nov. Other than that, I should be around most of the time. Come on down!

Bear - Glad you enjoyed the ride. I don't get east of the Mississippi or north of the Mason-Dixon line very often, but if I do I'll give you a holler.

WSF - Well, I did spend some time in Asia, where reincarnation is a thing. But right now I just don't see it. Thanks for the kind words.

Denny said...

Bye Tim.

CenTexTim said...

So long, Denny. Keep on truckin'...

jeffli6 said...

Hate to see ya go Old Kid, but it's been fun. I'll raise a glass to "The Bergheim Follies" tonight!

CenTexTim said...

Jeff - yes it has. Raise more than one...!

Anonymous said...

And then it turns out it was the GOP that was colluding with the Soviets this whole time.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111115760/3169834-3072650720-dsv.j.jpg