Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Every Once In A While They Get Things Right

I am not a big fan of the mainstream media. If fact, not to put too fine a point on it, I think they suck.

But every once in a while, despite themselves, they come up with a true gem. The following story is one such example.

I dare you to read it without tearing up.
Five days before Christmas 1943, a helpless American bomber pilot locked eyes with a German fighter pilot over the frozen skies of Europe. The German pilot spared the life of the American, and both men would reunite and become friends 50 years later.
Full story here.



4 comments:

Toejam said...

WHOA, CTT I do believe the previous comment mught be SPAM.

In any event, I read about this incident a while back. I forget where it appeared but it sent a chill down my spine.

Especially the 2 indivuals reuniting many years later.

Maybe there is a spark of hope for humanity.

Old NFO said...

Yep, great story in the middle of a war there IS humanity!!!

jeff said...

Amazing story. I teared up after reading the quote in the book I admit it. Don't tell anyone.

CenTexTim said...

Toejam - yep it was spam. Don'[t know how it got past the spam filters.

I would agree about the 'hope for humanity' comment except for the fact all the examples happened many years ago. I don't see too much humanity on the part of the extremists we're fighting now.

NFO - yeah, but... see my comment above. Also, I have a good friend whose father was a Marine during WWII who survived Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and Okinawa. Every once in a while after one too many drinks he tells stories that make your skin crawl.

Jeff - Your secret is safe here. I got misty-eyed at the part where they showed the German the family pictures.