Tuesday, March 3, 2015

For Lou And Mel

Don't know if y'all saw this or not, but I thought you'd like to know...

Cheatham Street Warehouse Owner Kent Finlay Dies at 77
Kent Finlay, a voice for Texas Music and owner of the famed Cheatham Street Warehouse where many artists got their start, died on Monday. He was 77.

Finlay has often been seen as one of Texas Music’s best friends and premier mentors to songwriters and bands alike. His songwriter’s circle on Wednesday nights has a staple at Cheatham Street Warehouse for decades.

Finlay helped launch the careers for many famed artists, including Stevie Ray Vaughan and George Strait, among others. He was a songwriting mentor to many, having co-written songs with names such as Randy Rogers, William Clark Green, Slaid Cleaves and Walt Wilkins.

“Country music — and just music in general really — lost a great friend today,” George Strait said in a statement. “His legend will live forever in Texas, though. We’ll never forget our friend Kent Finlay. Sad day.”

Strait played his first-ever show at Cheatham Street with his Ace in the Hole Band on Oct. 13, 1975.

Superstar after superstar has graced the stage at Cheatham Street Warehouse, the famous venue by the railroad tracks in San Marcos. Willie Nelson, Guy Clark, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Townes Van Zandt and nearly every Texas country star has graced Cheatham Street.

...he died on Texas Independence Day. “You know he would have loved that,” his daughter, Jenni, said.

You can’t make up stories like that. It’ll probably even make a great song.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Thanks for sharing this. I did see it in the news. I don't remember Finlay personally, although I probably heard his music while hanging at Cheatham St. I do remember first hearing George Strait at the Skate Skeller and at Chilympiad. Ray Wylie Hubbard is an old friend who lived with my family back in my NM days. But my claim to fame is that Neil Young sang at my wedding reception. My Texas music roots run deep.

CenTexTim said...

Ray Wylie Hubbard is another one of my old favorites. It must have been a lot of fun to have him hanging around. And Neil Young!?! Very cool!