Thursday, June 7, 2012

What Were They Thinking?

Sometimes -- no, make that ofttimes -- I wonder what on earth my fellow Americans are thinking. Today's example is a recent poll regarding who people would choose to write a new national anthem.

First, there's absolutely nothing wrong with our current anthem. Yes, it's hard to sing, but so what? The Star Spangled Banner has served us well since Francis Scott Key wrote it back in 1814. But for the sake of argument, let's take a look at the poll.
According to a poll conducted by Vanity Fair and 60 Minutes...
Oh Lord, this should be good.
...22 percent of Americans would choose Springsteen if they were asked to find someone to do it (write a new national anthem). Why not, after all? The guy is an upstanding, letter-writing citizen, the bard of the American working man and a guy many fellow New Jerseyans think should be Governor. Plus, he did write a song about being born in the USA.
Although many people think Born in the USA is a patriotic song, it's actually not. Check out the lyrics.
"Born In The U.S.A."

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Got in a little hometown jam so they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land to go and kill the yellow man
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "son don't you understand now"
Had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there he's all gone
He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now
Down in the shadow of penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go
Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A.
Not exactly something to make your heart swell with pride and love of country, is it?
Dolly Parton came in second place at 19 percent and Stevie Wonder came in not too far behind with 18 percent. And despite his iconic image and newly awarded Medal of Freedom, Bob Dylan fell a little bit further behind with just 11 percent.
Dolly Parton? I know we as a people are fascinated with breasts, and I like Dolly as a C&W performer, but for writing a new anthem...? Not a good choice.

Stevie Wonder gets a "maybe" from me -- think of something along the lines of America the Beautiful, but with soul.

Dylan? No friggin' way.
As far as other musicians went, composer John Williams garnered 10 percent, Jay-Z got 8 percent and Madonna came in with 5 percent.
John Williams (of Star Wars and other movie themes) has never, as far as I know, written anything with lyrics. I like his music, but I'm not sure what he could do with words.

Jay-Z and Madonna?!? Sorry, but they make noise, not music.

Again, for the sake of argument, who would be your pick to write a new anthem?

Like I said, I think Stevie Wonder would do a good job, but I'd have to go with John Fogerty ( ("Proud Mary", "Bad Moon Rising", "Fortunate Son", "Centerfield," among others).

7 comments:

JT said...

I am of the mind that if there is some burning desire to change our national anthem that 'God Bless America' is the perfect replacement. Without any changes to the lyrics or omission of the word "God".

InsomniacSeeker said...

Harper, that will never happen because "God" is in it. I'm particular to our current National Anthem, but that's probably because I was taught it correctly in grade school, and in band and on the piano. Guess I'm taking a shot at the parents and teachers, but good golly it doesn't take that much time to learn it. If people are tired of hearing performers butcher it at sporting events, let a marching band play it, they generally know what they're doing.
As for someone writing a new one, Good God don't let Springsteen near a pen and paper. Is Joan Baez still kicking? Let her write it....very heavy on the sarcasm.
Actually, I think Hank Williams, Jr. could write a good one, but then that's the country hick in my talking
-TinaK

kerrcarto said...

Springsteen is a washed up anti-american douchebag assfuck. The sooner he is pushing up daisies the better.

Francis Scott Key's version needs no adjusting. If you know what the lyrics really mean, that song will bring a tear to your eye.

Jason K said...

Toby Keith or Hank Williams Jr.....not sure I'd trust anyone else, even though I'm not a country fan....those boys can write FIGHTIN' SONGS!!!....

Pascvaks said...

Vanity Fair and 60 Minutes? Why would anyone but an idiot take a Vanity Fair and 60 Minutes poll? "GIGO" jumps out at me. In fact I keep smelling something like "SISO".

Replace the "Star Spangled Banner" with something by a 'modern'? How about "And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free"? Nah! Too long a title, kids wouldn't know half the lyrics anyway. "Leavin' on a Jet Plane"? "Kum-Bye-Aaah"? "Anchors Aweigh"? "Dixie"? "God Shave the Queen"?.... I give up!

Why not leave well enough alone? Or.. Let's disestablish the public school system, give vouchers to every kid who can prove his parents were both Americans (as long as he/she makes passing grades) from K-12, and give them a free, hot Cheese&Mac lunch with Milk (no breakfast) and a 20 minute recess after lunch, and a... sorry, getting carried away ain't I? We could just leave it all up to the parents and forget the tax derived vouchers.

Anyway... when they learn how to read, write, and count again, some day, they'll know what the words in the one we got now mean and appreciate it even more. (Where there's life there's hope;-)

Old NFO said...

All I can say is WTFO??? Sigh...

CenTexTim said...

For the record, I think the Star Spangled Banner is the finest national anthem in the world - especially when it's performed in a martial manner a la John Phillip Sousa.

If for some unfathomable reason it were to be replaced then I'm with Harper - God Bless America is the only second choice, and if anyone doesn't like it the screw 'em.

But as an intellectual -- or imaginative -- exercise it's fun to speculate about who might write the best replacement anthem. The readers of Vanity Fair betray themselves by their selections - for the most part, non-musical commie pinko hacks.

The best songwriters around today are in the C&W field. Tina and Jason K suggested a few good choices. I could add a bunch more, but y'all get the idea.

Pascvaks, I love Dixie, both for the melody and the defiant spirit encapsulated in the lyrics, but it's got about as much chance as I do of boinking Heidi Klum.

Hey, a man can dream, can't he...

NFO - if you think the poll was bad, check out this idiot.