Tuesday, June 26, 2012

F**k Facebook

I have a Facebook account, but am not a big user.


Without going into a rant about how social media is corrupting our lives, I will simply note that Facebook is becoming more and more like the government. It's doing things that we don't want it to with little or no input from us. In fact, like the government, it really doesn't care at all about us except as a source of revenue, as the following examples illustrate.

Facebook Changed Everyone’s Email to @Facebook.com
Facebook just removed everyone's email address from their profile and replaced it with an @facebook.com email address without asking you. Here's how to easily fix the problem.
Okay, that's annoying, but not a major problem. The next one, however, is truly frightening.

Facebook quietly unveils 'stalking app'
Facebook on Monday appeared to have quietly unveiled a new feature designed to let people see which Facebook users are nearby at any given time.

By Tuesday, however, the feature seemed to have been pulled from the Internet.

The company called the feature "Find Friends Nearby," and on Monday it was available through Facebook's mobile apps and website despite the fact that it hadn't been formally announced.

The blog ReadWriteWeb dubbed the feature a "stalking app" because it could open people up to potentially awkward or threatening interactions with strangers on the social network who know you're nearby.
Creepy...

3 comments:

Toejam said...

I do not want or feel the obsession to be "connected" with others.

I'm 70 and worked most of my life dealing with obnoxious slugs and self-important swine. Now I'm retired all I want to do is have an occasional beer with a very few close, lifetime acquaintances and read good books.

I do not own a cell phone, iPad and do not belong to Facebook, etc.

I'm at peace with myself and there's no one who I feel the need to share it with.

Old NFO said...

Don't use it, WON'T use it... I value my privacy too much...

CenTexTim said...

Toejam - That's the way life was meant to be lived. Good for you!

NFO - agree w/ the privacy issue.

I got my FB account only because my kids each opened one and I wanted to keep an eye on their posts. I didn't provide a lot of personal info, and most of what I did provide was 'sanitized.' It's been mildly useful and entertaining, but I don't log in every day and probably spend less than 15 minutes a week on it.