Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pins And Needles

I'm spending this weekend on pins and needles. Our daughter (almost 18 years old and a high school senior) is going to a music festival in Houston.
The Free Press Summer Fest comes to Houston this weekend, and with it, an estimated 100,000 live music lovers to invade Houston’s Eleanor Tinsley Park for a couple days of sun-kissed amusement.
She's a smart, responsible kid, but she's also only 17 (Dad, I'm almost 18). She's going with a friend who has been to the festival before but who is also only 17 going on 18.

Small comfort...

The good news is that her friend's father has access to a corporate apartment that is only a couple of miles from the festival grounds. That's where they'll be staying.

In addition, her godparents live in Houston, only a few miles from the apartment. Plus we have other friends and contacts there in the event they're needed. Furthermore, both girls have earned black belts in karate.

Still, I'm not totally comfortable with our innocent unworldly small-town daughter spending the weekend at a music festival in a big city. On the other hand, in three months she'll be off on her own in a college town, far removed from my protective cocoon. I guess this is something I've go to get used to.

But damn it, that doesn't mean I have to like it...



4 comments:

Mel said...

"I guess this is something I've go to get used to.

But damn it, that doesn't mean I have to like it..."

You're right...remember Woodstock?
It could be three days in a muddy field!

CenTexTim said...

Good point, but... I wasn't a 17 year old girl.

You're right, though. I put my poor parents through Hell. I'm really lucky that my daughter is much better behaved than I was.

Bob S. said...

CenTexTim,

As a fellow dad, I can definitely relate.

On a completely unrelated note; I do just want to mention that I'm on the Board of a private range. We have earth moving equipment, 104 acres and a very large membership who are not curious about strange activities (many of them are dads also).

CenTexTim said...

Thanks, Bob. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.