Friday, June 7, 2013

Do As I Say

As parents we've all told our kids at one time or another "Do as I say, not as I do." Last night was a perfect example.

When we lived in Houston 15+ years ago I had a very close friend who lived less than a mile from us. I've known him longer than I've known my wife. Once we moved he and I stayed in touch, but FTF get-togethers became less and less frequent over the years. He's a big Aggie, so when my son and I got to College Station (home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies - that gets drummed into your head real quick) I sent him a text: "Having a beer in the Dixie Chicken. Wish you were here." (FYI - the Dixie Chicken is another Aggie tradition - they have so damn many...).

Turns out he's moved since the last time we spoke and now lives 45 minutes from College Station. It also turns out that his daughter goes to A&M (I knew that) and is majoring in the same thing my son wants to major in (I didn't know that). And it just so happens that she's going to summer school right now.

To make a long story short, we all got together last night. His daughter walked my son through what courses to take, what instructors to take (and to avoid), where to hang out, all that good stuff. She's a real take-charge type, and my boy is more laid back and easy going. Plus she is flat out drop dead gorgeous - last time I saw here she was missing her two front teeth and had a scraped knee and pig tails. She has, as they say, blossomed. The boy was smitten.

They're meeting this morning for breakfast. I don't think anything will come of it. She's an older woman (a junior - two years older than him) but it was funny to watch him trailing her around last night with his tongue hanging out.

Anyway, while she was planning his life for the next four years, her father and I were catching up - a process that made us exceedingly thirsty. It's a guy thing. You don't see a buddy for several years. When you do meet up the conversation goes something like this.
How ya been?

Okay. How 'bout you?

Okay. Wanna beer?

Sure.
After the first round it was like we'd never been apart. As the stories began to flow each one was preceded by "Now I don't want you kids to ever do this, but one time your Dad and I..."

I'm afraid they paid more attention to the stories than the disclaimer.

Thankfully, the kids are now old enough to drive us home. Now I just need to make sure the boy doesn't tell his mother.

More new student conference stuff today, then the long drive home.

I'll be napping most of the way while the boy drives...

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL, ah yes, reliving our youth... Fun ain't it!!!

CenTexTim said...

Too much fun, sometimes...