Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday Funnies 2014.06.29

We spent yesterday moving my elderly father from one residence to another, where he will get a higher level of care. He's a little too old and weak to help with the physical part of moving, but he's still sharp enough to 'supervise.'


When we agreed to help Dad move, we didn't know the elevator wasn't working. So after hours of carrying heavy boxes and furniture up 3 floors, we were wiped out. When he asked us to search for his favorite vase, no one moved.

"I'll give a bottle of Scotch to whoever finds it," he shouted.

Within minutes, my nephew found the vase.

"Good," said Dad. "Now look for the Scotch."


When my father decided to move after his retirement, he invited us to his home to take a few pieces of furniture he wanted us to have. One item was beautiful but very heavy -- an antique dining-room set. Our teenage son helped us wrestle the set into our truck. It took the whole day, but finally the table, chairs, and china cabinet were sitting in our dining room.

"Just think," I said as I admired the furniture while my son sat resting. "This set is 100 years old. And someday, it will belong to you."

"Oh, no!" he replied with a stricken look on his face. "You mean I'm going to have to move this thing AGAIN?"



Moving Dad's curio cabinet.

My sister, who thinks she knows what she's doing.

My brother-in-law, tasked with moving the refrigerator.

The DBA name for our moving group.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you got it done, and the pics are a 'great' accompaniment...

CenTexTim said...

Getting that behind us was a big relief. And those are actual pictures from the move... ;-)

Eric said...

If those are your relatives in the pictures, then I saw your cousin in San Antonio a few years ago.

He was stopped in the middle of this weird five-street intersection, I think near where West Avenue crosses the I-10, and he had three mattresses strapped to his four-door sedan: two on top, and one on the bottom.

Yup, the bottom.

I probably would have noticed that all by itself, but the reason he was stopped in the middle of the intersection was because of all the smoke rolling out from underneath where the mattress was touching the exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry and could not stay long enough to see how your cousin fared.

CenTexTim said...

Eric - that would be a cousin from my wife's side of the family...

Great story.