Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Cost Per Pound

We had another late-night dog adventure Sunday evening.

Our normal routine is to let the dogs out one last time before bedtime. That's usually around news time, but the switch from Daylight Savings Time screwed up their internal clocks. They wanted out an hour earlier than 'usual.' I opened the door and let them out without giving it a second thought.

A couple of minutes furious barking erupted. We life in a semi-rural setting, so that usually means they have something treed - a possum, a racoon, a feral cat, etc. Sighing, I pulled on my boots, grabbed a flashlight and their leashes, and went out to drag them back inside.

This time, however, something was different. They were circling in the tall grass about 100 yards from the house. That's bad news. It means they've stumbled across a snake, a skunk, an armadillo, or a porcupine.

In this case it was the latter.


Fortunately, only one of the dogs got quilled this time. Last time it was both of them.

Regardless, it still meant a one-hour (one way) trip to the doggie ER in San Antonio. In a repeat of our last visit, the dog was anesthetized, the quills removed, and various medications administered. Since this is a fairly time-consuming process, we went home and tried to stay awake for the 'come get her' call.

That call came at 1:30 a.m. Being a gentleman (and not being a fool), I let my wife sleep on while I went to get the mutt - which means I got to bed around 3:30 a.m.

Combine that with the time change and I was one tired puppy all day Monday.

Not to mention a lot poorer. Emergency trips to the vet ain't cheap.

Since moving here 13 years ago we've had to take one Lab in to get her nose stapled back together after tangling with a coon, one of our current dogs to the canine orthopedic surgeon to get her ACL repaired after she tore it chasing a deer (here and here), and now two quill removal trips within the past 18 months.

Sigh...

This cartoon sums it up pretty well.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Such is life in the country! I'm just surprised that it happened when you were home rather than while you were off on your hunting expedition leaving your wife to deal with the pets. that has happened to me.

Old NFO said...

And they KEEP DOING IT!!! sigh

CenTexTim said...

BB - Yeah, that's life in the country - but I still prefer it to life in the city.

Interesting that your vet told you to pull the quills. Ours said to take the dog to the vet. I'll have to ask him why we can't do it ourselves next time (and I'm sure there'll be a next time...).

NFO - that's what drives me crazy. You'd think they could associate pain with porcupines. Maybe it's like having too many beers. We swear we'll never do it again, but...

XS3mdrvr said...

Ouch! My deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to all involved :(

Fortunately, not as bad as one I saw on the bluff to the east of the Navaho
Bridge in northern Arizona several years ago.

CenTexTim said...

XS3 - thanks. Fortunately, all involved are doing well.