Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Elk Hunt Chronicles - Day Nine

They say timing is the key to life. That was proven today, at least in terms of the weather.

The four days I was in Wyoming were just about perfect. Blue bird skies, crisp but comfortable temperatures, light breezes (for the most part). But yesterday, when I left, the weather turned. The day dawned cloudy, cold, and damp. Overnight temperatures for the next few days are forecast to be in the 20s. Highs today and tomorrow will struggle to get into the 40s, and the wind was howling. However, I was nice and comfortable in my truck.

I underestimated how much meat one elk would provide. Those beasts are huge. Between the elk and the antelope, my large ice chest is full. In fact, I had to leave some meat behind. Of course, I made sure I took all the backstraps and tenders, and left behind most of the burger and stew meat.

I topped the cooler off with 16 pounds of dry ice and 30 pounds of regular ice. That should keep the meat cold until I get home. Of course, with all that meat and ice I can just barely lift the cooler. Good thing I spent all that time getting in shape before the hunt.

The drive today wasn't that long in terms of time (around 8 hours) but the last few were pretty stressful. After crusing for the first four hours from northern Wyoming to the Wyoming-Colorado border (I estimate I saw fewer than one car per mile), I slogged through the Fort-Collins - Denver - Colorado Springs morass during rush hour in the rain. But I eventually made it to my hotel in Colorado Springs.

Tomorrow should see me through the remainder of Colorado, all of New Mexico, and end in Lubbock, Texas. Tonight I'll kick back and watch the Cowboys-Redskins on MNF.

There are some benefits to getting back in touch with the outside world...

6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Our neighbor in NM once got paid for a job with elk meat. His freezer was full, so he put it in our freezer. Turns out his wife was not to keen on elk, and we ate most of the meat. Of course we invited him over the neighbor over to eat with us.

Anonymous said...

Where in Wyoming did you do your hunting? I lived in Casper for a couple of years, and worked as a driver in all the oil fields there, so am very familiar with the state.

Scottiebill

Old NFO said...

Yeah, but the game SUCKED... sigh...

Unknown said...

BB - lucky you!

Scottie - I go to a little place called Wolf, in the BigHorn mountains about 30 miles west of Sheridan. Much nicer than Casper... :-)

NFO - agreed.

JT said...

We must have been watching different football games. HTTR!

CenTexTim said...

*snort*

Although I have to admit the 'boys were outcoached and outplayed all game.