Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombings - Day Four

Lots of confusion today. Multiple reports of an arrest, then multiple reports saying there was no arrest.

But in the midst of all this media incompetence, one stunning piece of absolute idiocy stood out. Gwen Ifill, some blathering talking head for PBS who couldn't get a job with a real network, tweeted this claptrap.

Silly me. I thought providing descriptive characteristics of a suspect was a valid function of reporting. Thank goodness there are media experts like Ms. Ifill around to show me the error of my ways. I'm sure if the suspect had been described as a white male she would have been equally outraged.

I don't know if the guy was dark-skinned, light-skinned, or polka-dotted. I don't even know if it's a guy. But let's try and play by the same rules, okay? Either provide a physical description for everyone, or don't provide it for anyone.

The media has looked like a pack of fools over these last few days.

What else is new...?

2 comments:

Toejam said...

"I'm sure if the suspect had been described as a white male she would have been equally outraged."

CTT, your sarcasm has no bounds :)

Actually, if the suspect had been described as a "white male wearing a Tea Party sweat-shirt" she'd be screaming: "CONSERVATIVE RACIST KILLER" was targeting people of color.

CenTexTim said...

Who, me - sarcastic...?

you're right - it doesn't matter to the haters whether the perps were white or black. If black, pointing that out is racist. If white, they and all like them are racist. It's a no-win situation.