Monday, November 14, 2011

What Are they Thinking?

First I-69 signs go up
The quest to create an interstate between the Lower Rio Grande Valley and the rest of Texas reached another milestone on Thursday, when the Texas Transportation Committee gave the Texas Department of Transportation permission to add “Interstate 69” to the state highway system.
Are TxDOT and the Federal Highway Administration really this clueless? Can't they see all the jokes coming their way?
As a result, the TxDOT will add the “I-69” designation to a 6.2-mile stretch of U.S. 77 between the I-37 terminus at Corpus Christi and Texas Highway 44 at Robstown in Nueces County, a portion of roadway that already meets interstate standards. Eventually, once the remaining pieces of U.S. 77 are brought up to interstate quality, I-69 designation will extend all the way to Brownsville. A Dec. 5 ceremony in Robstown will coincide with the posting of the first I-69 shields on U.S. 77.
How can it be an interstate highway when it stays within the boundaries of the state of Texas? I don't know for sure, but I suspect this will be the nation's shortest interstate highway.

I also suspect that the IH-69 highway signs will disappear from the roadway at a much higher rate than other highway signs...

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Just like the Texas 69 signs in East Texas :-)

CharlieDelta said...

Guaranteed! If I was a college kid and already had my neon beer signs and hot beer chick posters on the wall, I would HAVE to swipe one of those signs for sure.

Hell, I'm almost 40 and I haven't been near a college campus in over a decade and I want one!