Sunday, December 12, 2010

Weather

This was the view from my hotel window Sunday morning.


A record one-day snowfall in St. Louis today.


Wind chill below 0.

Riverboat blown aground because of the wind. Passengers forced to stay on board overnight: "passengers wrapped themselves in tablecloths to try and stay warm."

And still the powers that be running this conference held an outdoor reception at the base of the Gateway Arch.

No, I didn't go.

Actually, I would have, except for my shoes. I can handle the cold, but I can't handle cold, wet feet. Since the forecast wasn't calling for snow when I left, I only brought dress shoes and athletic shoes, neither of which are suitable for tromping through snow and ice.

After spending most of my life in warm weather climes, snow and cold weather remains a novelty to me. I was looking forward to drinking and mingling in the middle of a snowstorm, but concerns over the shoes kept me in the hotel.

It wasn't a total loss, though. Several other conference attendees remained behind, so we got some serious networking done.

In the bar, of course...

No comments: