Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bah Humbug

I do practically all my Christmas shopping via the Internet. The selection is astonishing, I can always find the right size and color, and there's no need to get dressed up (that is, put on something beside sweats) and fight the traffic and crowds.


Yesterday, however, chance and circumstance combined to send me out shopping in the real world.

Never again.

It was mid-morning on a weekday. I figured that would minimize the hassles. If that was indeed the case, then God have mercy on the poor souls who must venture out on evenings or weekends.

Long lines at lights













Packed parking lots













Crowds













Rude people
















and hordes of preschoolers amped on sugar and Santa













... what a nightmare.

To spare you, my loyal reader(s), the agony of a similar experience, here's a few online sources I find helpful.

Amazon, of course, for most traditional/routine gifts.

Semi-educational gifts: Discovery, History, Geography, Arts & Entertainment, and more.  

Food: Polish and Texas Food (here and here) (who needs anything else?).

Our local source for outdoor and animal items - Barkleys.

National sources for outdoor goodies: Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops.

For upscale wanna-be ranchers and western types, check out the King Ranch store and Crow's Nest

Offbeat, weird, and twisted items.

For those really hard to shop for people, we usually make a charitable contribution in their name. There are many out there, but here's a couple of suggestions: Heifer International and Southwest Indian Foundation (they also have native American gits available for something a little unique or unusual).

This is just a partial list. If you have questions or would like more information just let me know.

(Note: I have no connection with any of these organizations, nor do I have any sort of financial arrangement with them. These are just sites that I've found usually provide quality products and reliable service.)

If I can just save one person from what I went through yesterday then this post has served its purpose.

Ho Ho Ho...

2 comments:

JT said...

My husband came home from the office party with a Goode Co Brazos Bottom Pecan Pie, a gift from a vendor. Never had one, but it looks really good(e).

I returned 5 books to Barnes & Noble today. I had picked them up at the store while there for something else. Came home and happened to look up the price on Amazon. $42 difference, with free shipping.

CenTexTim said...

When we moved to Houston 25+ years ago Goode Co. (the 'e' is silent) was just a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint, located in a tin shack on the outskirts of downtown. Even then it had lines out the door and down the street at lunchtime.

Over the years it has grown and expanded into a place that has multiple locations, live music, and a flourishing catering and online business, all without sacrificing the quality and atmosphere of the original. It's one of my favorite memories of Houston.

And the pecan pies are delicious...