Friday, September 24, 2010

Young 'Uns

Our 16-year-old son got his drivers license this summer (June 2010). Life was serendipity enough that his 92-year-old grandfather decided about that time to stop driving. So 'The Boy' lucked into becoming the proud possessor of a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria. 

I work out of town from Mon. through Thur. While I'm gone, 'The Boy' parks the '96 Crown Vic in my space in the garage. When I'm back in town he parks his car in a space off our driveway.

Fast forward to Wed. Sep. 22. He knew I was coming home, so he went to move his car. One problem - he neglected to raise the garage door.

The garage door is lightweight aluminum. The damage to the car was negligible (after all, it's a solid-body 90's relic) but there was enough structural damage to the garage door to require that it be replaced.

I can't get too upset. I did exactly the same thing - backed out without opening the garage door - six years ago. Furthermore, my older son ran his car off the road while he was watching a 'cute girl' wiggle down the street. He not only hit a parked car that time, but he did the same thing again a few weeks later and hit a light pole.

So we're moving forward from here. We've all done the same thing or worse, so we'll laugh it off and move on.

2 comments:

JT said...

I don't often talk about it, but I tried to 'borrow' a family member's car without permission when I was 14. Older Datsun, didn't need the keys to actually start it. A 'friend' explained (over the phone) how to pop the clutch to start it, which worked great. Problem was, without the keys, the steering wheel was locked. I shot out of the garage and T-boned the neighbor's car that was parked in the street. Did I mention that I did this on my mom's birthday after weaseling out of going to dinner with her? I was a rotten teenager.

CenTexTim said...

I've got a few similar stories from my youth. Isn't it amazing that our parents still talk to us?