Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm A Sissy

Okay, I admit it. I'm nothing but a big cry-baby.

The local news tonight showed a clip about a soldier who was back in town on R&R after 8 months in Afghanistan. It was a short-notice trip, so he didn't get a chance to give his family much of a heads-up.

Somehow, though, one of the local TV stations got wind of it. When he went to his 8-year-old daughter's school to surprise her, a film crew was there. The look on her face - rapidly cycling through surprise, disbelief, and utter joy as she ran to him and threw herself into his arms - caused me to tear up.

As I was sitting there blubbering like a baby all I could think of was my daughter, and how much I would miss her if I was in that soldier's situation.

We often say the right things about how much we appreciate the sacrifices our service men and women make, but sometimes I wonder if we really, really understand what they and their families go through. All I can say is that I will never ever forget that little girl's reaction.

Excuse me. I have to go blow my nose...

1 comment:

JT said...

Had one of those here this week, too. He was back early from Iraq and surprised his little girl at school. Tears all around.