Friday, May 29, 2015

Boy Do I Feel Old

I watched my oldest grandchild graduate from high school last night. That really drives home what stage of life a fellow is in.

It didn't help that his father - my oldest son - now has some grey showing in his (thinning) hair.

It also didn't help that this was one of the most poorly managed ceremonies I've ever attended. No traffic control and woefully inadequate parking meant a steady stream of late arrivals disrupting the proceedings.

Top all that off with the fact that I had to park so far away it took me 20 minutes to walk to the arena where all this was taking place - in brutal humidity, while all duded up and wearing dress shoes. (Remember, I'm retired. My standard attire is shorts and a t-shirt. Footwear alternates between flip-flops and tennis shoes, depending on whether it's a semi-formal or formal occasion).

Then, once I finally got inside, there was no place to sit. So I stood on concrete for 3 hours while inane speeches were made and over 500 names were called. Afterwards was another monumental flustercluck as everyone tried to leave the parking lots at the same time.

Fortunately, I had parked near Mamacita's Cantina, so I killed some time there until traffic thinned out. Dressed up as I was, I was a little out of place amongst Juan, Julio, and the rest of the blue collar types there, but once I bought them a round we were all hermanos.

The drive home took about 1 1/2 hours. Of course, it started to rain.

This morning my feet, knees, hips, and back all ache. Plus I'm saddled with the realization that my children's children are almost all grown up.

Boy, do I feel old...


4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Not far behind you. Mine graduates in 2 years... sigh

Bag Blog said...

Wow, you are old.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The age thing creeps up on you. My oldest granddaughter graduated two years ago.

Her school in Rio Rancho, NM ran a very professional ceremony from driving, parking, and keeping to a time schedule.

CenTexTim said...

NFO - It's a learning experience...

BB - Thanks a lot...

WSF - Glad to hear some place did it right. This one sure didn't...