Sunday, July 7, 2013

World Tour Update #16

From hunting to hiking. We're off to our last adventure of the trip - a helicopter hiking trip on New Zealand's Franz Josef glacier. We'll take a copter to the top of the glacier and then hike down. There are also some side trips in the area we can explore, time and weather permitting.

The biggest wild card is the weather. We're on the west coast of the south island of New Zealand, and the weather is really unpredictable. Today we experienced a thunderstorm, a sunny period, snow and sleet, and wild winds - all within a four hour period. The copter won't fly unless the weather is right, so we'll just have to wait and see.

After we finish up here we head for home. It's been an absolutely fabulous trip - the trip of a lifetime. But living out of a suitcase and changing locations every few days is getting old. Our thoughts are turning more and more towards home.

Hopefully I'll have the time and 'Net access to post a few more updates. If not, I'll catch up once we're back in the good old U.S. of A.


JT said...

That is usually the part of a vacation when I am scouring local real estate and help wanted ads, with a romantic notion to never go home again.

Old NFO said...

Glad y'all have had a good trip, hike safe, and see ya back in the 'world'...

CenTexTim said...

Harper - we've definitely talked about it, but have come to the realization that we can't afford to live in the style to which we've become accustomed to on this trip. Things are pricey down here.

NFO - thanks. The hike was the safe part. It was the copter trip that had me worried.