Saturday, October 16, 2010

RHIP III

As a former U.S. Army junior enlisted man, I never tire of tweaking the NCOs and officers that made my life miserable way back when.

Of course, looking back on it now I realize that, for the most part, they weren't that bad. They were trying their best to deal with a bunch of 18-20 year old kids. Now that I teach that same age range I can sympathize with them somewhat.

Still, I do enjoy a little payback every now and then, as evidenced by here, here, and below.
Al was a recent retiree. He was hired as a greeter at WalMart.

He was a really good worker, exceptionally tidy, clean-shaven, sharp minded and a real credit to the company. The only problem was he just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, even 15 minutes late.

One day the boss called Al into the office for a talk.

"Al, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang up job. But being late so often is quite bothersome."

"I know boss, and I'm working on it."

''Well, good. That's what I like to hear. It's odd, though, your coming in late. I know you're retired from the military. What did they say if you came in late back then?"

''They said, 'Good morning, General, can I get you some coffee?'"

1 comment:

JT said...

My favorite real life memory is of a retired COL I know that went into his family's business as the owner of several Burger King franchises. To be effective at his executive job he went through store level training. Two months into Army retirement, he was literally working a drive through window asking people if they wanted fries with their order. Karma.