Monday, March 22, 2010

Life Is Still Good

Like many citizens, I am disappointed, disgruntled, and disgusted by not only the vote on the health care bill, but also by the corrupt and secretive process leading up to it. I woke up this morning in a bad mood that went downhill as I waded through the aftermath. Then a couple of things happened...

First, I got a call from the Wyoming Wildlife Foundation. We travel to Wyo every summer to spend some time with friends who have a ranch up there. My wife's father was a rancher in Arizona, and back in the '40s and '50s the Wyo folks used to winter their stock next to her father's place, located in the accurately-named Skull Valley. I grew up in central and west Texas, which can be pretty desolate, but Skull Valley is the most God-forsaken place I've ever seen. Nothing but rock, sand, and cactus.

Anyway, my wife's parents and the Wyo ranchers became friends, and my wife's family began to visit the Wyo ranch in the summer to avoid the Arizona heat (this was before air conditioning became widespread). When I married into the family it was expected that I would become part of the "it's summer, time to visit Wyoming" tradition. To make a long story short, it's been great. Great country, great people, great times. I liked it so much I began going up there during hunting season whenever I could draw a tag.

So back to the Wyoming Wildlife Federation call. They have an annual fund raising raffle that offers an assortment of merchandise, including several firearms. They called me this morning to tell me I won a Weatherby .300 Win Mag. I've been contemplating an elk hunt, but have held off because my 'old faithful' rifle is a sweet-shooting .270 Remington BDL that I've had for 35+ years. It's been accurized by Hill Country Rifles to where I can cover three shots at 100 yards with a nickel (from a rest, of course - unfortunately, now I don't have an excuse for missing). I've used it to take whitetails, muleys, and pronghorns, but I've been a little reluctant to go after elk with it.

Some of my Wyo friends use .270s to hunt elk. They assure me that it's enough gun, but I still feel a little under-gunned. And yes, I know that bullet placement is the most important factor in hunting, but confidence in your rig is a close second. I just feel more confident with a heavier caliber than a .270 when hunting what I consider truly big game. Plus if I ever get to go to Africa I'm now prepared.

So to make this long story short, after the bitter bile of the health care debacle, my mood was brightened by the raffle results. Building on that, as part of my schedule Mondays are the day I drive from central Texas to Laredo, where I teach at the local university three days a week. I spent the last 10 days at home in CenTex for spring break, so I was a little bummed to have to leave. However, the weather today was wonderful - clear blue skies, comfortable temps, all that good stuff. Once I got about 30 miles south of San Antonio I found that Spring had come to south Texas.

All the plant life was green , and there were wildflowers everywhere. I'm not a flower guy, but there were Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, and a bunch of other flowers dressed in pink, purple, violet, yellow, and white, all shimmering in the sun and rippling slightly in the breeze. Buffet and Bonnie Raitt were serenading me, and after the first 100 miles I yielded to the temptation and popped a brew.

Yeah, I know that drinking and driving is not cool, but I was only about 40 miles from my destination. I figured by the time the alcohol kicked in I'd be there. Besides, it's not like I was talking on a cell phone or anything.

Bottom line - take a step back from the nonsense in D.C. Gain a little perspective. Life goes on, and it's not bad. In fact, it's pretty damn good...

No comments: