Sunday, January 17, 2010

Texas Concealed Handgun License

Earlier today I completed the renewal course for my Texas Concealed Handgun License. Now it's up to the bureaucrats in DPS HQ. Reports of processing time vary from 45 days to 4+ months. We'll see...

Enjoyable way to spend the morning. Brushed up on related legal issues, then got to burn through a box of ammo. The only less-than-positive note was during the classroom session. Several people reminded me of my students, asking lots of 'what-if' questions of marginal relevance and even less possibility of occurrence. I guess some things are universal.

I've had my CHL for several years now and have only been in one situation where I even thought about needing a weapon (knock on wood). Either I'm very lucky, totally oblivious to my surroundings, or both. In any event, it gives me piece of mind when I'm out and about. Plus it has the added benefit of exercising my constitutional rights, which are like muscles. The more you use them, the better off you are.

No comments: