Thursday, September 9, 2010

Storm Aftermath

Those of us in Central and North Texas were all affected to varying degrees by Tropical Storm Hermine as she moved through the state.

In a bit of tragic irony, shortly after I posted about tubing down the Guadalupe River two people were missing and feared dead after they jumped from a railroad bridge into the swollen river. I can't be too critical of their judgment. In my younger days I used to jump from the same bridge, although never during flood conditions. 

Contrast this picture with the ones I posted after the Labor Day Weekend. Hard to believe it's the same river.


Not to make light of anyone's loss, but I must include my favorite Hermine-related story.

In LaCoste, southwest of San Antonio, officials were forced to close City Hall due to flooding along Pole Cat Creek.

Why is that my favorite? Because I found it so deliciously ironic and appropriate that the seat of government is located alongside Pole Cat Creek.

What a fitting name...

No comments: