Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Nature vs. Nurture

Watching the kids grow up often causes one to stop and think "Where did that come from?" Did they inherit it from Mom or Dad? Did they learn it? Or did they figure it out on their own?

I've seen bits and pieces of me in things the kids say and do. I've also seen things that obviously came from my wife. And there are a few that I pray to God they got from TV or an acquaintance, not from someone related by blood or marriage.

This nature vs. nurture debate has been going on for centuries. I'm certainly not going to try and settle it here. But I will offer up a diagram that I think does a pretty good job of piecing together heredity, environment, and development.





In any case, whether you support nature, nurture, or a combination, I think you'll agree that the poor kid below is doomed...


No comments: